As a Mechanical Design Engineer in the Ei Electronics Engineering and R&D group, you will be part of the team that brings new fire & gas detection and associated accessory products from concept through to high volume manufacture. The specific role is the procurement of injection moulding tooling from external toolmakers and the selection of polymer materials for the production of plastic components in our large inhouse mould shop. The role is vital to ensuring the mould shop has the tooling capacity to enable it deliver high volume, cost effective and high-quality components to our production assembly teams on time, every day, as they strive to meet the demands of our customers.
The candidate should have experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Product design, specifically plastic part design for injection moulding, ideally for consumer electronic products.
- The design, specification and operation of Injection moulding tooling.
- Polymer material and tool steel selection.
- Guiding & interacting with moulding tool design & fabrication partners
- Component metrology
- Mechanical & electro-mechanical component functional and environmental performance testing
- Sheet metal part design would be an advantage.
The Successful candidate should also:
- Have a degree, or post graduate qualification, in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in a plastic part & injection moulding tool design role.
- Experienced in the use of 3D Solidworks and 2D AutoCAD packages.
- Ability to review & generate detailed engineering drawings in a timely manner.
- Have excellent attention to detail and work to high levels of accuracy.
- Have strong communication and documentation skills and ability to operate autonomously to prioritise tasks and manage time effectively.
- Have a good understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Have strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work with a diverse set of stakeholders across multiple disciplines.
- Collaborate with product designers, other mechanical and electronic engineers to optimise new and existing plastic component designs from performance, cost, ease of assembly perspectives, as well as from a mouldability & tooling point of view.
- Generate detailed 3D models and 2D drawings of plastic and mechanical components to ISO standard following correct dimensioning and tolerancing principles.
- Work with the external tool designers to develop the optimal tooling layout and arrangement that best satisfies the requirements of both the product designers and the mould shop.
- Develop and generate detailed tooling specifications for new component injection moulding tooling projects, with input from internal stakeholders.
- Provide all necessary tooling project documentation to the external tool vendors in order to assist them in fully understanding the stakeholders’ requirements and expectations.
- Liaise and coordinate with external tool vendors and internal stakeholders to manage and review quotations, purchase orders, project milestone schedules and draft tool design drawings. Manage the delivery of multiple new tooling projects on schedule, within budget to the required high quality. Prepare project status reports for internal review.
- Carry out tool design reviews with product designers, other mechanical engineers, the tool room and mould shop stakeholders and feedback tool design concerns and requested improvements to the external tool designers.
- Check sample parts from new or modified tooling in terms of form, fit and function, and generate first article inspection / metrology reports.
- Liaise with production teams to arrange pilot plastic moulding and assembly trials, of components from new or modified tooling or materials for final approval.
- Update & maintain detailed documentation for each tooling project.
- Research and evaluate alternative polymer materials in order to reduce cost, improve component functional or life cycle performance, increase process output or to provide supply chain options.
- Carry out Life cycle assessments (LCA) of components made using existing and alternative materials and processes, while researching, generating and evaluating materials options that could improve the environmental sustainability of our products and help us achieve our goal of being net carbon neutral by 2030.
- Coordinate, support and implement tooling and product change / improvement requests, with the product design, toolroom/toolmakers and production teams.
- Research into and keep up to date with new technologies that could provide process or performance improvements in tooling projects.
- Contribute to the activities of cross functional project teams in the design and development of new fire and gas safety sensors and products.
- The role also includes the engineering tasks involved in the sourcing, testing & evaluation and selection of electro-mechanical components for new & established designs. These activities are vital to ensuring a secure supply chain through the life of the products.
How to Apply:
Ei at a glance
Employing over 1,100 people, the company is headquartered in Shannon, Ireland, occupying a 33,000 m2 campus where all key manufacturing, R&D and commercial functions are located. Overseas sales and marketing subsidiaries are located in the UK, Germany, France, Poland and the USA.
The Company’s success is based on a culture of Quality, Service and Product Innovation over 30 years. R&D is the lifeblood of Ei Electronics, with sensor technologies at the core of our product advancement. As a global leader in the industry, Ei Electronics is now at the forefront of emerging Cloud-based “Connected Home” and IOT developments.
Working with one of Irelands leading indigenous electronics companies, provides a wide array of opportunities and possibilities to grow.
Life at Ei
- Work in dynamic and innovative business environment with unique cross functional involvement
- Exceptional learning and development opportunities through our Apprenticeship, Graduate and Engineering Leadership Programmes
- Excellent career advancement opportunities
- Prime Midwest location offering unrivalled work-life balance
- Inclusive Benefits package
We are constantly on the best talent in order to grow, expand and lead our teams. To become part of our organisation and thrive with us please send your CV and Cover Letter to: